Supporting our gut health is one of the best ways we can maintain our total wellness. Here are some simple solutions to ensuring your gut is getting the love it deserves and that you are reducing or eliminating gut-related ailments – such as bloating, indigestion, heartburn, and gas (my kids’ favorite 😉 )
(1) Eat whole, unprocessed, unrefined foods. One of the best ways to maintain gut health is to cut out the sugar and refined carbs and up the gut-supporting fiber.
(2) Make 75 percent of your plate vegetables and plant-based foods. Your gut bugs really love these high-fiber plant foods. Foods like pomegranate, cranberry, blueberries, and colorful plants feed good gut bugs.
(3) Eat good fats. Fats like omega-3 fats and monounsaturated fats, such as extra-virgin olive oil help decrease inflammation, which gives healthy gut bugs a chance to flourish.
(4) Add fiber-rich foods. Nuts, seeds, and a special fiber called glucomannan provide prebiotics and feed our healthy bacteria.
(5) Use the colors of the rainbow to support your gut:
- BLUE-PURPLE signals the presence of anthocyanins in foods like eggplants, beets, blueberries, red cabbage, and purple potatoes. Anthocyanins have been found to prevent blood clots, delay cellular aging, and may even slow the onset of Alzheimer’s.
- GREEN indicates the presence of phytochemicals like sulforaphane, isocyanates, and indoles, which are anticarcinogenic and detoxifying. Many green veggies are part of the Brassica family, which includes broccoli, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, arugula, kale, cauliflower, and more.
- ORANGE means the compounds alpha-carotene and beta-carotene are present and can be seen in foods like carrots, pumpkin, acorn squash, and sweet potatoes. Alpha-carotene protects against cancer and benefits skin and eye health; beta-carotene is a precursor to vitamin A and a powerful antioxidant within the body.
- PALE GREEN-WHITE is caused by compounds called allicins, which have powerful anticancer, antitumor, immune-boosting, and antimicrobial properties.
(6) Supplement with a good quality probiotic. I have been taking SEED synbiotic for the last year and am so happy with the support it is giving my gut. Offering gastrointestinal + whole body health, Seed contains 24 clinically and scientifically studied, broad spectrum strains to support systemic health. This has been a gamechanger for my gut health. Use my promo code ELEVATED MAMA for 15% off your first month’s supply of DS-01™ Daily Synbiotic.